Thursday, June 3, 2010

Slow and steady wins the race

I haven't posted for a bit, and I do think that at this point it makes more sense to post less frequently. Things are not changing on a day to day basis anymore as the recovery slows down.

Yesterday marked 10 weeks since I got a new chance at having a working knee again. It's been tough sometimes, but I am very lucky. Everything has been going to plan and there have been no complications so far. (And I just knocked on my wood desk.) My scar (GR 2) is healing beautifully and going through all kinds of fun colors. When I wake up, it is almost white. If I am cold, it turns dark purple. If I am hot, it is an angry sort of pink. And sometimes, one part of the scar is one color and another part is a different color. Whatever. I measured the scar too. It is a hair over five inches when my knee is perfectly straight, and 6 1/2 inches when bent. Not bad for scar bragging rights.

Last week I saw Dr. Trice again and he was happy with my extension (Yay!) so all that prone work paid off. At the time of the appointment I was down to using one crutch and he said to try to get off that remaining crutch within a week. Of course, I was very excited about that direction. About three days later I tried to switch out the remaining crutch for a cane. I was successful, but walking with the cane was quite difficult. I did notice that trying to walk with the cane made going back to walking with one crutch easier, so I am trying to continue the philosophy of going a little further than is comfortable and then pulling back. It makes the little steps more successful.

In fact, now I am trying to not use the cane when I am staying within one room in the house and there are surfaces I can reach for support. It is not good to do this too much, I think, because the limp is awful and I need the cane to practice walking correctly. But, I am hoping that walking a little without the cane will make it easier to walk with it. Go too far, and pull back. Another little step forward.

I working from home now and hoping that I might start driving again soon. It would be nice to be more independent and at least be able to get to my PT appointments by myself. My family has been wonderful in supporting me, but I really don't want to need so much support. It's been a year and a half since all this pain started and people have been compensating for my limitations for that long. I know that slow and steady will win out, but it's hard to feel like you might see the light at the end of the tunnel and not wish you could run for it!

Wow, I am full of clichés today, but at least I haven't broken out the sports metaphors. Well, now you all know I am still here, and I am still trying.

Heel, toe, heel, toe, heel, toe......

1 comment:

  1. this is all awesome news Allison!
    you have a room waiting for you in NYC when you can make the trip!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete