Friday, May 14, 2010

Prone!

I have been seriously stepping up my prone exercises to straighten my leg. It has led to yet another lesson learned! (insert drumroll)

#11 Do a Complete Variety of Exercises. It was feeling hard to get all my exercises in everyday, so I ended up often skipping the same ones over and over. The prone exercise would usually make me feel unable to bend my knee very well for a good 30-60 minutes afterward (which made it harder to get other exercises in) so it was often the one I skipped. Once I started focusing on it though, it got so much easier and it got rid of that super painful "locking" in place that kept happening when my leg was straight. So, I guess all the exercises need to work together. If you can't fit them all in, make sure you aren't skipping the same one repeatedly.

Other than that, things are progressing pretty tentatively. After the microfracture last year, I was eager to get better and kept trying to do more and more. I don't know for sure if that led to the failure, but this time around I don't want to take any chances.

Dr. Trice and Sandy both said to use a scale to see how much 25-50 lbs really feels like. I did, and it is a lot of weight! I stood on the scale with about what I was initially comfortable to bear through that leg, and it only registered 23 lbs. I put more weight through it and it came up 38. I put as much weight as I possibly dared and it still came up only 47 lbs! So, as much weight as I dare right now falls inside Dr. Trice's guidance. That's good to know.

I am planning to start working from home next week (8 week mark). That was my initial plan and it still seems appropriate. My stamina is getting pretty solid and the swelling is really starting to come down, so I am looking forward to trying to work. However, I let work know that I wanted to work from home the first 4 weeks I am back. I think this will help prevent me from getting dangerously overconfident and push myself too far. It is a very real concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment