Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Doctor's Guidance at 7 Months Out

I posted this on the knee geeks forum because I found Dr. Trice's guidance to be interesting and thought others might too. I can't really say it any better than I did there, but it is an update so I'll add it to my story.

I am doing very well. The knee aches and pops a lot, but there is very little pain. The popping is probably due to the unloader brace shifting things around. There are some "crazy nerve spikes," as I call them, which feel like a quick shot of tissue based pain and are usually around the scar. Not bad at all!

My latest doctor appointment was very interesting and I thought I would share the experience. I have seen on here that at 7 months most ACI patients are permitted to run and such other activities, but my doctor has restricted these for me. Going into the latest appointment, he let me swim (aqua arthritis class only), use the recumbent bike, and walk up to one mile on even surfaces. That's it. No elliptical, no walking the dogs, nothing even close to running. Needless to say, I felt pretty restricted.

So I went into the appointment wanting to understand the reasons for my severe activity restrictions. He said that there were a few. The first two were that my defect was very large (I don't know exact measurements but I think it was about 2.5 x 3 cm on medial femoral condyle) and that I had been in more pain before the surgery than most of his patients (I'll admit I was pretty bad off).

However he said the strongest reason was the previous microfracture and that he had other patients with ACI after microfracture who were doing well at 7 months and then weren't at 9-10 months and he doesn't really know why. So, he wants to be cautious. I guess I thought I was mostly out of the woods as long as I didn't do anything stupid. Apparently he sees a lot more forest before me.

He did however loosen the restrictions a little bit saying I can walk up to 3 miles and I can sign up for a slightly more vigorous swimming class as long as I am very very careful. The elliptical and walking the dogs are still off limit.

This appointment was about 2 weeks ago and a little after 7 months out. Now I am creeping up on the 8 month mark and continuing to be cautious and optimistic. I just can't wait to get these woods behind  me.

1 comment:

  1. I have been following and will read over from the beginning I just found your blog. I will be having ACI done on May 4th.

    ReplyDelete