Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Questions

I wanted to write out and share the questions I am accumulating, both for the benefit of organizing my thoughts and as a reference for others.

- How long is 24/7 care recommended?

- What type of osteotomy are we talking about?

- What hardware will I need to use (i.e. CPM machine, Bledsoe brace, ice machine)?

- Can I pick up the post-surgery medications (pain killers and blood thinner) before the surgery so they will be waiting for me? I don't really want to have to stop at the pharmacy on the way home.

- How long do I have to stay in the hospital? I will have to climb two flights of stairs when I get home in order to get settled and that might need to be taken into consideration. Actually a better question might be to ask what conditions I need to meet in order to be released.

- Can they get me a copy of the relevant published research? The STAR study appears to be the biggest applicable effort that has been performed. Here is the information about it if anyone wants to find it, but it requires either payment or a subscription as it is a professional research paper. I figure my doctor probably has access and might be able to let me read it.

Kenneth Zaslav, MD, et al. A Prospective Study of Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation in Patients With Failed Prior Treatment for Articular Cartilage Defect of the Knee Results of the Study of the Treatment of Articular Repair (STAR) Clinical Trial. In The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009. Vol. 37. No. 1. Pp. 42-55.

- Do they have an in-home physical therapist they would recommend? My physical therapist does not have a recommendation for anyone local.

- When do I need to stop taking the Ryzolt? My pain management doctor mentioned that it is common to get nasty withdrawal effects if you stop it suddenly, so it is a good idea to step it down to once a day for three days before stopping entirely.

- I have some Rozerem and Lunesta left over from trying to sleep while the pain was out of control. Can I take that with the post-surgery drugs? After I step off certain drugs can I start taking them if needed?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Allison; I am due for more T2 MRI scans and CT scans this week to establish if my OCD lesion and knackered patella are suitable for ACI or anything else.....I'm scared but feeling that surgery might just get me back the life that has vanished over recent months...like you, at 40 years old and fit, low BMI and active I am hoping life returns.....your blog is great too. All best wishes....Lottiefox (KG) x

    ReplyDelete