Monday, June 28, 2010

No More Whining (13 weeks and 5 days)

I have been hesitant to post lately because the progress is so slow it just feels like whining. In reality, I am not whining much and am actually pretty happy with the current state of my knee. No, it's not feeling awesome. But it feels much better than it used to! So I will try to keep posting, but focus on what has changed rather than the current state.

I had an appointment with Dr. Trice today and he was pleased with my progress at the three month mark, but said I am about two weeks behind so he wanted me to wait another two weeks before beginning Phase 3 of the recovery protocol. Phase 3 is a substantial return to activity so I am obviously excited, even if I know that it will be gradual. He also pointed out that at this time the implanted cells should be changing from a jelly-like consistency to a waxy consistency, so I still need to protect them. No squatting or twisting! I really wasn't planning on doing that anyway. :)

I am feeling like I haven't pushed myself as much lately. The little things are getting easier, like walking into a store but not around it. That used to wipe me out just a few weeks ago, but this past weekend I was less affected by it. So I was thinking that I might try grocery shopping (like actually walking around the store) with my husband this weekend. If I get tired there are places to sit and it is nice and level, as opposed to walking outside.

I have noticed a change in how each step feels. I realized that as I took each step, the knee would settle into a position as the weight went through it. There was a lot of movement and shifting going on and I walked so very slowly to allow that shifting and settling to occur. As my muscles around the joint have gotten stronger, there seems to be less settling when I put weight through it. As a result, I am actually walking a little faster. I just noticed this happening in the past week, but I sure like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment