Monday, February 14, 2011

Less than 6 weeks from the One Year Mark

First let me say, that I love when people leave comments and let me know if this journal has been helpful to them. It absolutely makes my day! (I get an email when someone leaves a comment, so it does get noticed right away.) Good luck to those of you stopping by to prepare yourself! It was a life-changing experience, but it's been worth it for me.

One thing you learn pretty early when reading about ACI is that while it may take 2 years to feel "normal," the majority of the healing is done in the first year and restrictions are eased considerably after that. With this information in mind, I have my eye on the fact that my one year anniversary is less than 6 weeks away!

However, I am not quite where I want to be in terms of rebuilding muscle to properly support the knee. So, I have signed up with a personal trainer to see if he can guide me beyond my current plateau. I am very excited to start working with him this weekend. It has been a few months since I stopped seeing Sandy, my physical therapist. I really miss her, both personally and professionally. It was encouraging to have the regular, personalized guidance and to have someone cheering you on. I know a personal trainer can't bring the same level of experience and knowledge on this particular rehab, but his brand of guidance and cheering will be appreciated.

I have a few other notes: first, a reminder that not all aquatics classes are the same. I attempted to join an aquatics class held in 4 ft water which involved a lot of walking around the pool and some bouncing or hopping. I tried to keep the impact minimal, but I still had to leave before the class was over as I kept getting a "tweaking" feeling in my knee. I am glad I didn't stay - the knee was sore for days. Clearly only a class where movement around the pool is swimming-based and not impact-based will do.

Second note: I forgot to ask at the 9 month mark whether I could start to use the elliptical machine, so I followed up outside of my appointment schedule. Dr. Trice approved! Most ACI patients probably would have been allowed to use an elliptical much earlier, but I went over the reasoning for my particular guidance here so I won't repeat myself.

Also, a few weeks ago I relearned how to get up from sitting on the floor with no aid. It's such a small thing, but knowing I can get up makes me less afraid of falling. It's only February, so I expect there will be more ice and snow yet (though it is in the 60's today!?!)

So overall I am definitely progressing well, but I need to build more muscle and start losing some of this weight that I have put on over the last 2 years. I'll check in again in a few weeks after I have worked with the personal trainer for a bit.

3 comments:

  1. I am starting my ACI process Nov 30 I have found your blog very helpful and it has put my mind at easy. Dr Trice is doing my surgery as well Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your blog! I am have been through phase 1 of ACI. I am having it on my Patella (kneecap). I have a blog started on my experience as well.

    https://my-aci-experience.blogspot.com

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicholas Soranno, a former State Police captain who now works as a private investigator Marlboro Lights, and Rodriguez's then-attorney William Ware told NJ Advance Media in March 2016 they believed Rodriguez was falsely accused and they had evidence -- including the confession of the alleged getaway driver -- that pointed to the actual robber Newport Cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete