Friday, December 17, 2010

Doctor Appointment (one week shy of 9 months)

Despite my little panic yesterday with regards to the snow, I really wanted to make it to my appointment with Dr. Trice to have him look at my MRI results. I dealt with the traffic and the slippery roads and it was worth the trip. I handed off my MRI CD when I arrived, and by the time Dr. Trice came into the examination room he had taken a look at them. He entered, saying "I hope your knee feels as good as your MRI looks!"

So, hooray! My MRI was showing about a 95% fill, with a little gap in the anterior region that might still fill itself out as the tissue matures. That's a pretty awesome result for such a large defect, so I am very happy. It makes me worry a little less about still needing to pop it regularly to get it operating smoothly. I still think the brace is causing that anyway.

We talked about what activities I could and couldn't do. I asked, mostly out of curiosity, when I might be allowed to jog if my recovery continues to be successful. His answer was the one-year mark, meaning this March. That's actually earlier than I was expecting! I have a number of people who would like to cheer me on at my first 5K.

I was instructed to up the weights on my SLRs. He wants me to get to 15 lbs. I need to buy new weights!

The best part was that he set my next appointment a full three months from now. That's how confident he is in my progress! My next appointment actually falls exactly on the one year anniversary since my ACI.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Allison. It's great to hear that you are feeling better and you are definitely inspiring!

    I'm recovering from MCF on my medial femoral condyle and have not progress very well. I have pain at rest and cannot walk or stand very long without significant pain. I have a 6 month f/u appointment on Wed for a post-surgical MRI and I'm quite concerned that they may voice the defect isn't filling well. So, obviously the ACI, Denovo NT, OATS, etc... may need to be considered. Do you have any recommendations with regard to specific questions I should ask or focus on at this stage in my clinical course?

    Best Regards,

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, first, let me direct you over to the knee geeks forum (in the related links section on the right). I only have my own experiences to draw from, but there you have hundreds of people with their hundreds of respective experiences so the advice is far more exhaustive.

    By MCF do you mean microfracture? The knee geeks use MFX as short for that, so it's what I have gotten used to. Anyway, if that is what you mean then your questions to your OS might be about how to manage for a while. My OS did not want to perform ACI until one year after MFX because there is some evidence that waiting increases the chance of success.

    So, don't forget when talking about your treatment options, also ask about an unloader brace and pain management. It may be a while until something can be done, but these tools do help improve your quality of life significantly while you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison,

    I just came across your blog and wanted to say thanks for doing this. I am having the exact same procedure with the same surgeon next week. I am on surgery number 11 yet it is still intimidating. Thanks for all the info and I love the "surgery pants" you recommended!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rodriguez's civil case was originally filed on Sept. 6, 2015 against the Morris County Prosecutor's Office, Morris County Prosecutor Fredric Knapp Cigarette Tobacco For Sale, Morris County Assistant Prosecutor Samantha Denegri Marlboro Red Cigarettes, Detective Keisha Higgs with the prosecutor's office Newport Cigarettes Carton Price, Roxbury Township and Niemynski alleging unlawful seizure and prolonged detention.

    ReplyDelete