Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lady in Red

The Don Joy salesman came to my house the week before Thanksgiving. He showed me the different options and recommended the Defiance. It will last me a long time as I can wear it even while recovering from ACI when returning to activities. The others don’t support as much activity. After looking as the pictures of it, I realized that this is not a subtle brace. If I can’t hide it, I may as well flaunt it, so I ordered it in metallic red!

I received the brace about two weeks later. (Picture – GR of 1) I think it normally takes less time, but the holiday was in there. The salesman came back and showed me how to wear it and set me up. He was really helpful. It felt so strange because it pushes in on the right side of my knee to ease up the weight on the damaged left side. At first I was really unsure about it and I had to keep loosening the plate that adjusts the degree of offset. After a few days though, it wasn’t so bad so I very slowly began increasing the offset again and continued to over the next few weeks. Now, I usually don’t even feel it.

This brace has been wonderful. I have been able to actually walk and have even done four full grocery trips now! That is about all I can do and it totally wipes me out, but I did it! It also changed my symptoms from a constant fear of “bad steps” to instead frequently needing to “pop” my knee to release pressure. I prefer the pops.

1 comment:

  1. The brace is so fancy... you need a red sequined gown to go with it :)

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete