Saturday, April 17, 2010

Checklist in Hindsight

Based on my experience, these things have been useful. I am going to keep updating it as I think of things.

- Alcohol Cleansing Pads or rubbing alcohol: to remove the iodine from my skin around the incision site. They gave me some from the hospital, but others might not get my goody bag.

- Toilet Seat Riser: Since getting up and down will be difficult with my knee locked.

- Toilet Support Bars: These are supported by legs that go down to the floor, so they are very stable. I highly recommend these.

- Shower Chair: When I can shower, I will need to sit. In the early days it allows sitting outside the tub or shower to allow washing (or allowing someone else to wash) your hair over the tub or shower.

- Leg lifter: Absolutely necessary for even getting up and lowering your leg carefully to the floor. I bought one, but also was given one at the hospital. By the way, this is used by taking the loop with the metal reinforcement and bending it into an open loop.

- Grabber: They gave me this at the hospital too, and I use it all the time.

- Body wipes: Showering is a lot of work, and there are other ways to get clean. A washcloth and soap is best, but wipes are quick and less messy. I found one kind in the grocery store near the adult diapers, as they are marketed for people with incontinence. These worked, but I found them to be sticky. I prefer using Oil of Olay facial wipes. They are larger than others, cloth-like, and have moisturizer. These were awesome in the hospital and the first week at home.

- Face wipes: I mentioned that I also used these for body wipes, but even if I hadn't done that then I still would have wanted face wipes.

- Dry shampoo: Useful, but not required. I didn't like it that much.

- Gold Bond Anti-itch powder: because spending too much time in bed may irritate the skin.

- Gold Bond Anti-itch lotion: because sometimes I was itchy but my skin was dry.

- The Perfect Shoes: I had a pair of these that I wore all the time after the MFX, but they got pretty worn out. They are nice because they are lightweight and supportive, but what makes them perfect is that they are very easy for someone else to take off and put on. Reaching your foot is very hard! And yes, I did order them in purple.

- The Perfect Shorts: Comfortable, stretchy, and loose-fitting. They have a long version too. These are pretty much all I wear right now.

- Non-medicated throat lozenges: because the breathing tube can be irritating. I didn't need them this time, but have for previous surgeries.

- A chair and ottoman: I set this up next to my bed at home since I was instructed to spend at least 2 hours out of bed each day. Use one that feels good on your back because staying in bed will make your back ache.

- Vitamin E lotion: I don't think it has been scientifically proven that vitamin E helps reduce the appearance of scars, but many people swear by it. Keeping the skin supple and healthy just doesn't seem like it could be a bad thing, so I will try it.

- Flushable wipes: Cleanliness is important.

- Lysol wipes: The toilet seat riser is not the most efficient device, and you want to be able to clean it quickly while standing on one foot.

- Colace and Senekot: Have these over counter digestive aids on hand. The narcotics really mess up your system. As I cut back on the meds (about 2 weeks after getting home), I replaced these with lots of fresh and dried fruit.

- Low dose (325 mg) aspirin: I was taking Lovenoxx (a blood thinner) for the first two weeks, but then was instructed to switch to aspirin. Need to prevent clots.

- Tylenol (500mg): I was instructed to take this with the Oxycodone. It is very important to take less than 4000 mg a day, so I recommend not getting the Extra Strength (625mg) version. Vicodin has Tylenol in it, so once you step down to that then stop taking Tylenol separately!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I don't know if you are checking this blog at all-but I want to thank you for the advice you have in shared here. I will be having ACI surgery in a couple months. I am supposed to have on both knees 6 weeks apart. It sounds like it will be hard to go for round 2 since the surgery recovery is rough. But the position of my patellas caused cartilage to rub away on both knees extensively and I want to return to being active again! Thank you for sharing your experience. Kayla, Atlanta, GA kaylaenglelewis@me.com

    ReplyDelete