Friday, April 2, 2010

S + 1 Day Continued

So it was about 24 hours after the surgery, and it was obvious that my pain was not anywhere near where it should be to go home. My life was still parsed into 6 minute intervals.

I was talking to one of the nurses and she told me that of the 12 ACI patients she had seen since Dr. Trice started bringing them to that wing to recover, only one had gone home the next day. She also observed that ACI seemed to be, on average, one of the most painful of the different types of joint surgeries admitted in that wing. Knee replacements even seemed easier on the patient, though they are far more intrusive. This is consistent with what I had read, but still interesting to hear from someone who sees it every day.

The goal was to take me off the morphine pump in the morning, but my pain level was still too high as the night progressed. Once more, they increased my pain meds during the night so I would have a chance at being ready in the morning. Then I finally fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment