Thursday, April 1, 2010

Pictures and Tools

At this point, I have a few more pictures to share. First is the incision itself (GR 4), which is a lot easier for me to look at than others since I know it doesn't hurt that much. I haven't measured it, but this picture (GR 4) kind of shows the scale.

I have three significant tools to assist in my recovery. The first is the CPM machine that I mentioned earlier and will discuss extensively later. It occurs to me that others might benefit from guidance on proper positioning so they get off to a better start than I did.

The second tool is my Iceman (GR 1). This flat pad is connected to two tubes that then connect to a small cooler (GR 1). The cooler is full of ice water. The water is run from the cooler through one tube, through the pad, and then back through the other tube to the cooler. A dial (GR 1) on the tubes allows me to adjust the flow to make the pad cooler or warmer. A thermometer (GR 1) on the tube indicates the temperature of the pad. This thing is awesome because a cooler full of ice lasts about eight hours and because too cold is as bad on a joint as too warm. It makes the joint stiff.

The last significant tool is my brace (GR 1). The goal for the first 8 weeks is to increase range of motion and protect the knee, both goals that the brace helps with. It has to be locked whenever I am moving and also when I am sleeping. It unlocks and provides enough freedom of movement to comfortably use the CPM up to about 70 degrees.

Additionally, now that I am home, I also have my recovery cat (GR 1 - it's a cat!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the recovery cat is the most essential tool on your path to recovery :) I'm glad to hear you're doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete