Friday, April 16, 2010

Post-op Appointment #2

Yesterday I had my second post-op appointment with Dr. Trice. It was all good news.

I asked when I could switch to my DonJoy brace, since it is much more comfortable and it's custom fit is perfect for preventing any twisting or tweaking of the knee since it holds it so snugly. Not all ACI patients have such a fancy brace, but I have it because I needed it before the surgery. Dr. Trice said I could switch right away. Yay!

My second question was if I should take any joint supplements like glucosamine, but he said no.

My third question was just a general discussion of drugs, which I have been sharing here to provide others who might go through this surgery an idea of someone else's experience. I know it is different for everyone, but still it might help. I left off with reducing the Oxycontin to only a morning dose (successfully, by the way) and with taking one pill of Vicodin every 6 hours. I had been reducing the dosage of both drugs slowly and cautiously, operating on the principle of "staying ahead of the pain." Dr. Trice said it was time to change that principle to "as needed based on pain," except for before physical therapy.

Dr. Trice also told me that dependence on the Vicodin is not about how much you are taking, but whether you are taking it continuously or as needed. Even a low dose taken continuously can become a problem. Since I had gotten down to the minimum dose and since I was told to stop trying to stay ahead of the pain, I stopped taking it. My last dose was 9:00 AM yesterday, and so far so good as far as pain goes, but I sure did feel awful this morning. It must have been withdrawal, but strong coffee, an orange, and fresh air helped.

Since I have reduced the Oxycontin, I honestly feel that I could have cut back on it earlier. I would like to stop it completely, but stepping down is important to reduce withdrawal effects. Bleh. I'll stop it in a day or two.

I made a reservation for a nice French restaurant next weekend to celebrate being able to drink wine again. That should give me time to be completely clean. It also gives me something to look forward to! Last time I had to stop drinking wine I lost my palate for intense red wine, so I am expecting that to happen again. I will have to start with pinot noir and French blends to acquire it again. Oh darn.

@ Lynn - I can't wait to be back to traveling again!
@ Jess - At least this delay means you two might actually be unpacked by the time we visit. And no, I am a good girl so no selling of pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment